Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Mrs. Claus

Last year when we went through my mom's decorations, both my sister and I vied for the Mrs. Claus. Here she is (please forgive her, she's old and has some stains):



I don't even remember the year my mom made her. I think it was sometime in Junior High, maybe.


Every Christmas she would come out.


I often wonder why my mom didn't make Santa Claus too. Maybe it was because Mrs. Claus is often overlooked in the Christmas decorations category? Maybe it's because we were a house of females and Mrs. Claus was appropriate.


Anyway, I got Mrs. Claus. She's been out every Christmas, just as she had been when she was with my mom.


Shortly after I received her though, I wanted my sister to have her too. I often thought of maybe every other year, we trade off having her. But then I thought of something else......

Could I find the pattern? Could I find the material? Could I make my sister a Mrs. Claus of her very own?

Turns out they still make the pattern (Go figure!). And while I wasn't able to get all the material my mom used on Mrs. Claus, I was able to find the material that was on the picture of the pattern, which included the same material on the apron that my mom used (eBay ROCKS!). Besides, having it be changed a little bit would make it her own.

This past weekend my sisters came down to my house so we could celebrate Christmas together. When my sister opened up her Mrs. Claus, I cried (yes, I know, silly me, but I could tell she was so surprised with it and it was a special present. (Earlier in the day she was looking at the original Mrs. Claus and saying how she loved looking at it when she was little and touching it.)

Now she has her own:

No comments: