Monday, December 18, 2006

Memories Monday - Hair Cuts and Colors

I was wondering what to write about today when a friend of mine was talking about her hair cut. And that got me thinking back to high school and beyond and the various styles and hair color my friends and myself have gone through.

The first time I tried to change my hair in any way was with the infamous Sun-In. You know, I'm not even sure if it really works that well. When you put it on and go lay out in the sun, I think it does help it to highlight it some, but certainly not as well as hair color, you know?

Then I did the highlighting kit with the cap and crochet hook. You know the one, where you impale your scalp when you put the crochet hook through the holes (that you have to make with the hook), and grab just the right amount of hair through. If you pull too little, you have to grab more, and if you grab too much, you have to finagle the hook under the cap, try to find the right hole and only pull some of it back.

I never truly colored my whole hair until I was 20 or so. Then it was a reddish brown. I've never gone truly CRAZY and gone pure black, or blonde or pink or red. I never had the guts to do that. I've always stayed in the browns area (whether it's light, medium or dark), and occassionally have done the blonde highlights.

Now, I've had friend who have gone the blonde mode in high school. Some turned out okay, some it took a few times to get it right, because the guy friend who said he knew how to do it, forgot to get the "Blue out" when he tried to dye my friend's hair blonde. Oh my what a night THAT was! I'm sure it included some Bacardi 151 though too.

Hair lengths........

Now this is one area, where I've had my hair all different lengths at some point in my life. Even growing up when I was little, my hair was always a little different length in school pictures. In 1st and 2nd grade it was a little longer each year, then in 3rd grade I went to shoulder length, and 4th even shorter. Then I started to let it grow out again through 5th, 6th, & 7th grade. Then I started going in reverse again. In 8th it was a little shorter, in 9th, I had some dorky ass perm, and then in 10th grade I went short. Above my shoulders short. 11th grade, about the same, maybe a little longer and then in my senior year I went super short. Then, during that year, I started letting it grow out and then I let it grow. It got pretty long. Then again in my early 20's I went to the shoulders, let it grow again, etc.

I think you get the picture.

One thing that has always stayed consistent though, is that ever since 3rd grade, I've always had bangs. I tried at one point to grow them out and it looked okay for a little while, but I'm just the type of person who needs bangs.

Okay, the point of the story here is that I got a nice bonus from being at my work for 10 years and my boss said that I had to use the money on MYSELF. To go away for a weekend, or just buy something for me. Do something for me. (Since I almost always use it for my family for things we would want to get) So I was thinking of using some of it to actually go to a hair salon (and not Supercuts), get a nice haircut and get my hair colored professionally, and not from the box at home. Wow, what a concept for me........ That's just something I don't do, because we always need the money for something else.

Of course I still want to go away for a weekend by myself though...... :)

No comments: