Sunday, December 17, 2006

Celebrating Christmas With My Sisters

On Saturday, both my sisters came down to my house so we could celebrate Christmas together, even if it is a week early.

It was SOOOOO nice to have the 3 of us together again, just us. I don't even know the last time, if ever, that the 3 of us and our family were together, just us. We've been together before recently, but there's always been my aunt and cousins too, which I absolutely love too, don't get me wrong. But it got me thinking, when was the last time the 3 of us were together, just us, celebrating something? Even when my mom was alive, my mom was there too.

To me, this last Saturday was such a special day for me. My girls and my one sister's girls played together in my girls' room, and both my sisters, myself and my one sister's husband all sat around the dining room table talking. (This was after we all opened presents, of course). It got me thinking back to when I was little and we had family get togethers. All the kids were off playing and the adults would be sitting around the table taking and enjoying themselves. I always wanted to sit with the adults when I was little. I was always fascinated by them and what they would talk about. And now I'm one of them!

Before my mom passed away, (up until my sister moved out of state), we were always together at Christmas. It was a tradition that we had always done since I was a wee one and we would go over to my grandma's house. And I know, that when we were all together, sitting around that table, my mom was looking down on us and smiling that we still get together, even though she's gone.

Next year, my sister has already said she wants us up at their place. I told them fine, but we'll have to do it like we did this year, about a week before Christmas, that way we can celebrate Christmas Day at home.

Hubby, kids and myself celebrated Christmas at home for the VERY first time ever, last year, and we loved it. It was just us, no rushing around to get to other people's house and we decided that we want to continue it that way. I do like starting the tradition of us sisters getting together a week or so before Christmas to celebrate it together though.

No comments: