Now, since last year my boss has been giving "gag" gifts to the employees, and this year, I got a mood ring. TOTALLY fitting, since my moods have been up and down the past few months (thank goodness I'm on medication, otherwise they'd be even MORE wacko!
Also, we raffle off the centerpieces on the table too at the party. There was this one that looked like a gingerbread candy store, too cute! I kept waiting for my number to be called, hoping that no one had wanted it yet, and thenk goodness when my number was called, it was still available!! When I got it, I didn't realize it was a music box as well! Even cuter! I love music boxes and I know both my girls love it too.
It wasn't until yesterday that I realized the tune (I mean I knew what the tune was, it's Jingle Bells) was VERY familiar. You know how when you play music boxes, at first they'll play REALLY fast and then slowly dwindle down to really slow? Well, this one is no exception. When it was playing really fast, that's when it dawned on me, that it was the same tune as a music box decoration my grandma had. My grandma's was a large gold bell, and when you pulled on the string, it played Jingle Bells. There was one point through the years when it didn't work, but somehow, someone got it working again. I don't know which one of my sisters have it now. One of them got it when we divided the decorations up, I think (either that or my aunt has it).
I always remembered playing that at Christmastime and dancing funny little dances when it would play really fast. It was always fun for us to pull the string to hear the music. Growing up it would always be hanging in the den over my grandpa's poker table. Later on in years when my mom had it, she would hang it on the wall between the dining room and the living room.
And now, thanks to my boss, I now have that music box sound of Jingle Bells again, along with it playing really fast and then really slow at the end.
Another memory to keep going strong.

No comments:
Post a Comment