Saturday, February 24, 2007

Play Ball!

Today was Opening Day for softball season here. The eldest almost didn't play this season, but I "encouraged" her to give a go, one more year. And today she thanked me for doing that.

I never forced her into doing it, but I did tell her that she should try it one more year and see how she likes playing in the upper division. The team she got on seems to be a really good group of girls and I really like the coaches for her team. They are helping her and the girls to learn things and grow in their abilities, yet they are also making it fun for them too.

Today they had two scrimmage games, in which they won both of them. The eldest did really well at batting and the coach had her bunting too, which makes me think that she might be the "bunt girl" this season.

I'm not going to lie. My child is definitely not one of the best players on the team. But she's also not the worst either. She's a good middle player. She tries her hardest, comes to all the practices, and that's all I ask of her. To do her best.

Hubby and I LOVE softball season. We love being out there at the fields, watching the games, enjoying the atmosphere out there, conversing with the parents. We have both said that once the youngest gets older and hubby's not going out to sea, that we want to join a co-ed softball team.

It was a long day today though. I had set my alarm for 6 a.m., but I either didn't turn the alarm on, or turned it off and went back to sleep. I can't remember. I just remember waking up, noticing the sun was out, looking at the clock and it saying 6:40 and saying, "OH SHIT!"

Yea, that was my daughter's alarm clock this morning, me saying "OH SHIT!" Nice........

We had to be there by 7:30 a.m. and we didn't end up leaving the fields until almost 1:30 this afternoon. Eldest wanted to watch a couple of the games.

Oh, and did I mention that my life at the fields is always at either the snack bar or the bathrooms? Yea, because the youngest likes to go to both places. All I ask is that she waits until sister has gotten to bat first. Oh, and I have to make sure she's dressed in grungy clothes because she likes to play in the dirt there too.

And new rule at the house too, one MUST take off their shoes before coming in the house after softball because WAY too much dirt gets tracked in the house.

Okay, I'm complaining, I know, but seriously, we do love softball season.

And next year? The youngest will get to start playing t-ball. I can't wait to see that! :D

No comments: