......whatever fashion that may be.
My preteen came to me tonight and said, "How come everytime I think I've got the "hip" style, and then I go back to school, and everyone's wearing something different?"
Sigh.....................
Not that I'm sighing because of "oh geez, come on now", but it's because I've been there. Oh so many times!
SOOOO many fashion trends happened when I was growing up. The dittos in every color, the designer jeans, the 501 levis with the polo shirts. The bermuda shorts (which apparently are back in fashion?), the "flashdance look" (which my mom liked, because it was CHEAP!, The GUESS look, etc.
Thank goodness I never wore the "leggings under the mini skirt", although my sisters did. And apparently THAT'S back in fashion too! Come on people, can you NOT find anything NEW? Oh, and the skulls on things too! SOOOOO Melrose Avenue back in the 80's! My preteen wants to get a pair of slip-on Vans with those in pink. OH......MY..........GOD.......... Slip on Vans???!!!! That was SOOOOOO Fast Times At Ridgement High!! So now I need to go talk to her principal and see if the "skulls" are allowed at school (you never know nowadays, with the rules the schools have.
My preteen said she wishes she could find a "fashon trend" that everyone else would like and catch on to, as well. Yes, I know that feeling..........
I remember it all too well. I was lucky if I had one "COOL" outfit. (I did actually have more, a few, but certainly not as many as all my friends had) My mom was a single parent. She worked to support THREE girls. There wasn't much left over. When Christmas and birthdays came, she would let the family know what "type" of clothes I wanted. One year when the "designer jeans" phase was in, everyone got me one pair of jeans, so I would be able to have some like the rest of the crowd. That was awesome that they did that for me. Yea, of course the following year THAT phase was gone!
Okay my preteen ISN'T EVEN A TEENAGER YET and she's already going through this!! What, will my preschooler start doing this when she gets into 1st grade or something??? Shit!
I did tell my preteen though, before school started, that she shouldn't worry about getting too many clothes before school, because you never know what the "fashion trend" is going to be. And, apparently, I was right. Well, I knew about the leggings and skirt thing, but I had no idea about the bermuda shorts and slip on Vans! (Although I did see my 18 year old cousin wearing them, so I probably should have paid more attention to that)
The thing is, is that I'm not upset with my child about wanting the latest trends because I went through the same thing. I know what she's going through. But I did tell her that she needs to be comfortable in the style she's wearing too. She can't just wear something JUST because it's in style. If she doesn't like the way it looks (or I like the way it looks, more importantly), she shouldn't wear it.
Then she also asked me why can't we just go out and buy clothes wheneve we feel like it, like some of the other girls at school? Sigh......... Yes, it happened.......now have to deal with the "sorry honey, we just don't make THAT much money." If we go to a semi-expensive store (okay, because sorry honey, not shopping at Macy's, Nordstrom, or the like unless they're having an AWESOME clearance sale), it's the clearance racks. Or it's got to be on sale. What I would love to do though is go to L.A. and find some really cool hip clothing that no one else has worn yet, so Cheyenne could wear it. Maybe I should talk to some of my friends up there or my sister too, and see what they would pick out.
So anyone out there still have their 80's fashions they want to donate to my preteen in the meantime? I got rid of all my chunky beady necklaces and my gazillion bracelets. (Yes, I wore them all on one wrist like Madonna did in her early days. I could knock someone out if I hit them with that hand!) I do have a couple of pins though!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment