Sunday, August 20, 2006

Music and Memories

Back to the subject of music and memories......

The other day when I was working out I started thinking about this and about how certain songs bring back such strong feelings, emotions and memories. Yes, the first memory that I had music attached to was Saturday in the Park by Chicago.

But now to more recent ones.....

I was waching VH1's 100 top Teen Stars and Shaun Cassidy came. Man.....I so remember listening to him in 4th grade, and having my cassette player and my case of cassette tapes with me, and listening to him and wanting all his tapes.

Junior High....by FAR the most powerful song I have from that time is Christopher Cross' Sailing. That ALWAYS brings me back to the junior high dances at our school, and me ALWAYS wanting to dance with a boy. But sadly, no boy asked me. ::::::::going back in time:::::::::: I was in 9th grade and it was the last dance of the school year. I had ALWAYS wanted to dance with this boy Mouse (his real name is Mike, Mouse was a nickname), but he never asked me. So I grew some balls, sucked in my breath and headed over to where he was to ask him to dance. Was he going to say no? God, I hope not!! I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him to dance. Guess what? He said YES! Oh my god, my heart was beating a mile a minute! I couldn't believe he actually said yes!!! It was the best 4 minutes and 18 seconds of my life (at least in junior high)! After the song was over I thanked him (seeing as he was pulling away after the song was done) and floated back over to my friends. In high school and beyond we would run into each other, and I would definitely consider him a friend. He was always nice to me. I wonder if he ever knew how much of a crush I had on him in junior high? So yes, to this day, when I hear that song, I revert back to that gym in junior high.

High School................damn......WAY too many songs to have one in particular. When I hear Love Cats by The Cure, it makes me think of Stacie when she was going out with this one guy, Tony, I think. When I hear How Soon Is Now by The Smiths, it reminds me of when us girls went to the beach and were listening to that song. When I hear True by Spandau Ballet, it just reminds me of being in 10th grade. Cruel Summer by Bananarama reminds me of the summer of 11th grade. Depeche Mode just reminds me of ALL of high school, especially getting to see them at Irvine Meadows, sitting 2nd row CENTER baby! Madonna's early songs remind me of 10th grade too. SOOOO many good songs in high school!!!

After high school......Here I Go Again by Whitesnake totally reminds me of when Stacie and I went driving around one night.

Married life.......two songs stick out the most for me and my husband. First one....I Love You Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel is our song. One time when it was on, my husband pulled me into the living room where we danced to it. 2nd song....Innagodadavida by Iron Butterfly. Well, let's just say that's a "private song", if you get my drift.

Music has always been such a part of my life, because so many emotions are attached to it (I won't bore you with all the "heartbreak" songs from when a guy dumped me, that's just too damn depressing) Breakstuff by Limp Bizkit is SUCH a great song to listen to when I'm pissed off. Disco music totally makes me feel happy. I like some country music. Love hard rock too, mellow music, pop music and so much more. I can't wait to see what other songs will come in my life to have memories attached to them.

No comments: