Saturday, September 16, 2006

New Meds

Went back to the doctor yesterday to talk about getting on new medication for the anxiety attacks. I was having them every day for the past few days and I didn't think the Buspar was working all that well. I had talked to a friend of mine who suggested I get on Paxil, but the time-released pill. She said it did wonders for her.

So off I went to the doctor to talk to her about it. As luck would have it (which is a weird thing to say), I was right in the middle of an anxiety attack. I was able to describe to her EVERYTHING that was happening to me at that moment. It's weird to say, because even though I didn't WANT to be having an anxiety attack, because it was happening, I was able to more accurately describe my symptoms. Sometimes when you've had something happen to you, it's not always easy to remember EVERYTHING, you know?

So she put me on Paxil. Unfortunately the Navy doesn't carry the time-released version (which is weird, because you think they would, you know?). So she put me on the lowest dose and had me cut THAT in 1/2 and take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. THEN!, she gave me some Valium too! She gave me the lowest dosage there (5 mg, I think) and had me cut that into QUARTERS! Plus she only wanted me to take that at night to help me get a good night's sleep for the first few days until the Paxil really kicks in.

I took the Paxil last night and I swear, I could feel it working within an hour. Now, maybe it was just my subconcious, like a placebo effect, doing it. Hey man, whateve works, I tell you. The Valium definitely made me groggy once I took it, but it didn't let me sleep all night long peacefully. Partly, in part, because my husband was home and he tends to toss and turn the first night he's back, and the fact that he had to get up early this morning to take my daughter to his ship for a "Friends and Family Day" cruise that's happening today. But the sleep I DID get was good, and when I woke up in the middle of the night I was constantly thinking and worrying about things. I started to do that this morning though, but it was almost time for the next dose of Paxil. Not sure how it's affecting me today. Not sure if I'm feeling a tiny bit drowsy, or if it's just because I'm a little tired from not getting a good night's sleep. I think it might be the Paxil though.

I have such a low tolerance for medication that can "make you drowsy". If it says it might, it usually does for me. Hopefully my body will work better with it the longer I take it, because it's not functionable for me to be drowsy during the day. Not when I have to take care of two kids and work and take care of the house, you know?

No comments: