
My eldest.
One of her softball coaches took this picture of her while we were all watching an All-Star softball game this year. I love this picture.
No, she's not smiling and the camera and you can see she's got something she's chewing on in her mouth, but it's such a candid shot.
Hubby was talking (or rather emailing me) the other day about how by watching his girls grow up, he can somehow get a glimpse as to what I was like back then.
This was me at around her age:
We both have blue eyes. I had/have freckles, but she got hers from her dad. The red hair? She got every bit of Irish from both sides of our family all wrapped up in her.
She's a straight A student and doesn't have to work that hard at it. I was like that too, that is until high school came around and while I was still an A and B student, I could have gotten straight A's if I had tried a little bit more. But having fun with my friends and partying were a bit more fun.
She does love to read, but not nearly as much as I did. I remember the year this was taken, my friend and I, who went camping with us, sat around the campsite and campfire reading "The Amityville Horror". I would walk home while reading a book as well. I read Gone With the Wind in 7th grade. In the summer, I would stay up until 2 a.m. reading a Steven King novel (in high school).
She doesn't care for the really LOOOONG books (she only made it through the 4th Harry Potter book, started the 5th and lost interest), while I love them (having just finished Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince and is eagerly waiting the 2 weeks until the last one comes out).
She has her friends and there's one that she's the closest too. I had my one really close friend back then too. And I'm very happy to say that 29 years later, we are still friends.
She's the oldest, and so am I (at least on my mom's side, but that's a story for another day).
My mom relied on me to help and I do rely on her to help out as well.
In comparison to relationships between mothers and daughters, I think I have a closer one with my eldest at the age she is now, versus the one I had with my mom at this age. But in all fairness, my mom was a single mom raising two other children besides me and had to work full time as well.
I talk with to her about everything (well, almost).
She had "Family Life" classes this past year and she made a comment to her friends that "Oh, my mom already told me about this" and they were like, "Your MOM told you about this?" and she said "Yes" like it was no big deal. I love it.
She's actually listening to me!

1 comment:
I totally see her in you too... xoxo
Post a Comment