My eldest has her own room. She's always had her own room. Even when my youngest was born and we lived in a two bedroom place, she still had her own room because the baby was in our room and we bought a house when she was 3 months, so she still got to have her own room.
I remind her of that constantly. That she's lucky to have her own room. We're in the process of "re-doing" her room, because she saw a friend of her's room and now she wants to change it. Well, because she can be flighty like that, I told her that we're not painting her room. I'll just do accessories, and only ones I can find on sale too.
Anyway, that brings me to me. Growing up I did have my own room.....that is until I was 6 and my first younger sister was born. Then, 4 years later, my youngest sister was born and then I had to share a room with TWO sisters!
(a bit of history here......my mom was a single mom with ROTTEN luck in men, and raised her 3 girls by herself, we grew up in a one bedroom duplex. My mom slept on the hide-a-bed in the living room)
There was a point when I was in 5th grade or so, and I wanted my own room SOOO bad, that my mom (bless her heart) converted our dining room part of the kitchen into a little bedroom for me (I think she put the dining room table in the living room?). But that didn't last long, I didn't like being in there.
Come junior high and high school, my youngest sister is getting older, getting too big for the crib, so my mom has to come up with a different solution for the 3 of us in that room. So we kept the trundle bed we had (for my youngest sister) and got me and my younger sister bunkbeds. I was actually SO excited to get these bunkbeds! It had a dresser and even a little closet too. I finally go to have something that was all MINE in that room. I got the closet. I was hoping to get all of the dresser drawers in the dresser too, but my sister got to have two of them.
I, of course, got the top bunk. I loved it. It was my own little haven. My mom put a shelf up there on the wall for "my stuff". I put my posters up there. I had Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Madonna posters up there and many more.
When you have to share a room with siblings, it just is SO nice to have your own "nook" of the room all to yourself.
I was ALWAYS jealous of my friends, because they all had their own rooms. They also were all only children too, so they didn't even have to worry about sharing a room. One of my friends even had a 1/2 bath attached to her bedroom, which made me even MORE envious!
But you know what? If any of them thought any different of me, they sure didn't show it. They didn't mind coming over to my house to my room. My mom was good though about letting me have the room to myself sometimes when I had friends over, she knew it was special for me. Plus my mom was a "cool" mom too.
I did finally get my own room, when I moved out on my own! LOL!! But you know what? I didn't even care to be in it all that much! When I moved out, I had no bedroom furniture at all! My mom let me take this closet thingy that had wire baskets and that was my dresser. A plastic table was my nightstand, and I bought a mattress from my mom's neighbor for $25.
Eventually, when I moved in with another friend a year later, things got better. I bought a dresser and nightstand from a friend of mine. I was in HEAVEN with the dresser and nightstand! FINALLY! I had my OWN! And it was a real dresser and nightstand, not a converted one. An older sister of mine gave me her queen sized bed, with a frame for the mattress too! No more mattress on the floor! I did enjoy being in my room then.
Now I don't have my own room, but I sure don't mind it at all. I'd much rather share my bedroom with hubby than have one all to myself. :)
Monday, October 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment