Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Show Not Tell

In my oldest's language class, they have these assignments which are called, "Show Not Tell", in which they have to write about some part of the book they are reading from one of the character's point's of view. The most recent book they read is called Johnny Tremain by Esther Hoskins Forbes. She read us her most recent Show Not Tell last night and I though it was amazing. So amazing that I'm showing it here:

*************************************************

I stand there, silent and motionless. The fast pace of my pulse is in rhythm with their footsteps. As I look across the green, I see the red stream pouring in, each individual carrying a gun, ready to blow my head off at any given moment. I know this could be the end of me, and that I may never see Rab, Uncle Lorne, or Cilla ever again. However it's too late to back down now. Besides, being able to have a man stand up as a free American is so much more important than my living. All of a sudden, I hear that first shot. That first shot that begins our fight, our determination, for freedom. I lift up my gun to fire, and I pull the trigger. But, it won't shoot. I drop down to the ground to try and safely fix my firearm. At that very moment, a bullet blazes across my head, just barely missing my skull. My gun finally manages to work, so I bound back up to shoot a fire of my own. I find myself staring at the whites of their eyes. Those hungry eyes staring straight through me. Before I can pull the trigger, I feel a bullet, a British, gruesome bullet piercing through my flesh. That bullet knocks me to the ground, leaving me in a pool of my own blood. My mind is telling me to buck and keep fighting, but my body is in debate. The one thing that my mind keeps repeating to me is "One less man to fight, one less chance that a man can stand up."

****************************************************

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, I see a future blogger! :)

Sueberry said...

Wow, it's hard to believe it was NOT written by a pro! Tina, I think you may have a future novelist on your hands. YAY Cheyenne!