Junior High.
I have a feeling I will be writing a lot about this in the next couple of years. Oh yea, and then about high school.
It's amazing how, they are still at the same school (they go to a K-8 school), but yet, now that they are in junior high, it's different.
When I see my eldest going through the things she's going through, I almost feel like I'm looking in a mirror from when I was that age.
So insecure. So wanting just to fit in with everyone. Wanting to have the "right" clothes. Trying to be calm and cool so people don't make fun of me or talk about me in a negative way.
I see all of that in my eldest.
I see her going through the same stuff I went through.
But at least she knows she can talk to me about it. I just wish I could give her some good "magic" advice, you know?
My eldest is an intelligent girl. She's a straight A student. She's the one who, when other people ask what she got, her answer is almost always an A. And then the kids make snide remarks like, "of course she got an A. She always gets an A". I told her to say to them, "then why even ask me?" or say "it's not important" when they ask her what she got. I mean, come on, she's smart. You know she's smart, why do you have to try and make her feel bad because she's smart? She can't help that. She's already learned some really great study habits that help her to get the A's. When I told a friend of mine about her grades, she said to me, "Just like her mom. Always getting good grades" When she said that I was proud of my daughter, but then it also made me realize that they thought of me as the person who always got good grades. But they were also always my friends back then and still are now, which made me feel really good to have friends like that.
I am so grateful for the friends I have. The ones I made recently and especially the ones I've had since high school. They help me to remember more of how it was back then, so I can hopefully help my girls go through the rough times of junior high and high school.
I talked to my sister this evening too about junior high and how it was for her. I always think of her as the confident person. She's almost always confident about herself and who she is. She told me that she likes to emit a positive personality and she's always been that way. When we were younger (and still to this day) we went on a trip to visit family in another state and she ended up running into someone she knew! She has such a cheerful disposition and people naturally like her. And like I said, she's confident in herself. She's not conceited in any way, just confident and that is such an endearing quality that I've always loved about her. And now she's a teacher and she can show that quality to her students as well.
I always tell my eldest to be like my sister. To try and be confident in yourself, and be a happy person. Try and find the positive in the situation. I try and do that myself so I can show that quality to my girls as well.
Are there people out there that just want to be mean? Oh, of course there are. But I also know that there are people out there that don't mean to be mean, and that is probably about 95% of the pre-teen and teenage girls out there. They just want to fit in and go along with the rest of the crowd. The hormones are raging throughout them and it's like being on a bad PMS trip most of the time.
Junior high can be fun, but it can also be tough as nails too. For the kids and the parents too!
Like a Momma Bear, I would LOVE, LOVE to go up to any girl or guy that teased my daughter and tell them where to shove it. Unfortunately, I can't really do that. I have to allow my daughter to go through things in life that won't always be pleasant, but I can be there as a sounding board and to offer advice on how to deal with situations. Day by day, year by year, she's growing up and one day she will leave home and she needs to be ready to face that world out there, and I just hope that I can provide her with the tools she needs and the confidence and knowledge to face it and succeed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment