About two weeks ago we noticed that our dog, Burbank, had a floppy ear. He's a German Shepherd and they don't normally have those.
So we took him to the vet and found out he has a Hematoma on his left ear.
Which means surgery.
Which means money.
So on Tuesday we took him back and he had his surgery.
He originally came home with a cone.
Can you imagine a cone on a big ass dog like this?
Yea, it was torture for him too.
He kept bumping into things.
Poor guy!
He wouldn't eat or drink.
The next morning I woke up and saw the cone on the floor.
Sans the dog.
Uh-oh.
So since I have never put a cone on a dog, we had to go back to the vet so they could show me how.
I also had them look at his ear.
They decided to take him back in and wrap his ear.
Picked him up after a few hours and this is how he looked.
Sans the cone.
Happy for him AND for me!
I'd much rather have him look like a unicorn, than a depressed dog with a big ass cone around his neck.
Plus they showed me how to give him his meds if he wouldn't take them with other food.
Okay, I tried.
I tried to put it down his throat, but it's a little intimidating to me to put my hand down his throat.
Needless to say it didn't work well.
So we got "Pill Pockets".
They are very squishy treats you "hide" the pills in.
That worked most of the time. But I still had to entice him to take them.
Then my friend told me to put it in Velveeta.
Well, I didn't have Velveeta, but I did have sliced cheese!
Yea, the cheese works like a CHARM!
We go back in a week to check his ear and bandages, and then a week after that he gets his stitches out.
Then no more unicorn dog.
But at least he'll have two good looking ears again!

No comments:
Post a Comment