My baby left for 6th grade camp today.
Even though she's my oldest, she's still my baby.
She was so nervous yesterday and this morning. I'm surprised she even slept at all.
Lord knows I didn't get much sleep! I feel asleep fine, but then when I got that "middle of the night pee call" I couldn't fall back asleep right away. And then finally when I did, the cat started playing with something on the hardwood floors and then the dog decided HE had to go pee too!
She did get up once in the middle of the night, but was able to go back to sleep fairly quickly.
She was fine when we were packing things up, packing the dufflebag, rolling up the sleeping bag, labeling everything, etc. She was even fine when I timed her to see if she could take a shower in 2 minutes (1 minute, 45 seconds, you go girl!) It wasn't until we were sitting there, watching TV that I think it hit her and she got very nervous and a bit teary eyed.
I certainly couldn't let on that I was nervous too! After all, the longest she had been away from me was 2 nights and that's when I went away for the weekend! And I was missing my family after the first night way too!
So I soothed her, hugged her, gave her kisses and told her that everything would be alright. I kept reassuring her. I told her that I knew for a FACT that she was NOT the only one who was feeling this way. I knew some of her friends were nervous as well. But that she would have her friends there and her teacher would be there too. (How cool is that, to be a 6th grade teacher and be able to go on this camp with your students for a whole week!) I think, or at least I hope, that it helped her some.
She was still nervous this morning, but she marched on.
We dropped off the youngest at preschool early and then headed on towards her school.
Of course finding a parking spot in the parking lot was impossible because every other parent who's 6th grade student was going too and they wanted to be there, just like me.
The bell rang and us parents stayed behind to watch all the luggage while the students went inside to class to gear up for the trip.
The bus came (there was literally a whole bus just for the luggage) and we loaded it up.
Then I saw her teacher and she guided us parents over to where the kids were lining up to get on the bus. We gave them hugs and kisses and waved them goodbye as they left.
Four nights without my baby.
I hope she has a BLAST though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I remember my first year away at camp.... ; )
Post a Comment