I was the room parent (it seems so odd to say "was", rather than "am", since school's just out) for my eldest's class. I have to say, I enjoyed being the room parent SOOOOOO much!!! I got to know all of the kids, got to know more parents and got to help out so much more than I ever have in previous years. Since I work, and have Jordan, it's so hard to be able to help out on a regular basis in the classroom. I was able to help out a little more when she was in preschool though.
A couple of friends of mine kept teasing me that I was trying to be an "UberMom" with the room parent thing. In a sense, yes, I was. I wanted to be the best room mom I could be. :) I just didn't want to do it half-assed, you know? We would joke too, that I was just "sucking up" and would make sucking noises when I did something. (It's an inside joke, because one parent, who I absolutely can't stand, accused me of trying to "one-up" or "outdo" all the other parents. Whatever............ At least I can laugh about it now!)
I made a scrapbook for my eldest's teacher for the end of the year. It included a picture of each student an then a note of thank you or recognition to the teacher beside it. After that, I included most of the events that took place in their classroom, and then at the end of that, I had 4 pages of thank you notes from parents too. I could tell her teacher liked it a lot. He told me that he's a very sentimental person and he was very happy about it. (I actually got embarrassed and was at a loss for words, which is quite odd for me.
Sooo :::::::::::::::::sucking noises::::::::::::, one up for me! HAHAHA!!! Oh, I am SOOOO joking about that! I made that scrapbook BECAUSE I know he's a sentimental guy and he is SUCH a wonderful teacher! In a way, he makes learning SO much fun for the kids! The kids are interactive in their learning, doing simulations in class so they learn about it while they are having fun! I appreciate all the work he does for those kids (including my own, of course), and I just wanted to show my gratitude. Plus I took a lot of pictures throughout the year (he takes tons and puts them on his class website so the parents can see what's going on in the classroom. And plus I love to scrapbook! I LOVE seeing people's expressions when I give them a scrapbook. I think it all comes down to the fact that I love to make things for people. My mom always loved the things I made for her. One year I made her a calendar and she loved it so much she didn't take it down after the year was over for quite a while! I made her two little scrapbooks as well.
So, was it "sucking up"? Hell no. I just like to show my appreciation for people who are nice. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment