Sunday, August 24, 2008

Our "California Adventure"

Our original trip was NOT to California Adventure. We were originally going to go up to Los Osos, Morro Bay area, to help celebrate my hubby's grandma's 80th birthday. Well, plans got changed and it was no longer going to be up there, it was going to be down in the L.A. area. So once again, our plans to go somewhere got cancelled. I felt so bad for my oldest, because it always seems that plans to go somewhere keep getting cancelled. So we decided to take the girls to California Adventure on Friday, stay the night and then go up to the birthday party on Saturday.

The girls were so excited and happy to go there! Plus they were going to get to go on Toy Story Mania, which has had advertisements for it all over the place.

We got into the park around 11:00 a.m. And our first ride was the Grizzly River Run.
(Never mind the guy in the photo, we don't know him.......)

Okay, BIG mistake!! We should have NEVER gone on this ride FIRST.

Yes, it's a water ride, like going down the rapids.

Yes, we got wet.

But not only did we get wet, hubby and I got SOAKED! I mean wet to the bone! It was like someone poured a 20 gallon bucket of water over me. I felt like I had a pool of water in my pants while I was sitting there. So of course it got in our shoes (well only one, but really, what's the difference) soaking our socks, etc.

So imagine what kind of store is right next to the ride. Yes, it involves clothes. So we spent way too much money on socks and then AFTER we bought the socks, I mentioned flip flops, so he went back in and bought himself a pair of flip flops. Well, I guess that was our "souvenir" for the day.

After that, we had some lunch (of course eating outside to try and help "dry" off, which really didn't happen until midway through the day and I think my underwear was still wet by the end of the day) and then made our way through the park, hitting the rides as we wandered our way over to Toy Story Mania.

Okay, this ride is SOOOOOOO cool!!! You get your 3D glasses, but it's actually a 4D ride! You get in the car and as you make your way through the ride, you stop at various places and target shoot at the screen. And when you pop a balloon you actually feel the "whoosh" of the air from the balloon! It's soo cool!!! The oldest said she got a little wet on her leg from hitting one of the targets! And then the ride has a screen where it keeps score with your partner in the car. It was definitely one of the funnest rides we have been on!
The girls then had to go on the Carousal ride. I'm not a big fan of things that go around and around. You won't get me on the teacups at Disneyland, and even the Dumbo ride sometimes gets to me. It's the whole motion of going around and around and around. Okay, I need to stop talking about it, just thinking about it is getting me dizzy....

However!! I do like roller coasters. So after this, we made our way over to California Screamin'. The last time we came to California Adventure, I chickened out on this ride. But I really wanted to go on it this time. So hubby took the little one over to the HUGE ferris wheel (again, not a big fan of things that go around and around), while the oldest and I went to the roller coaster.

Wow.....

I absolutely LOVED it!!! It's not like a regular roller coaster where you chug along going up to the top and then speed down. You actually get shot UP the roller coaster. That was my FAVORITE part! I looked over at my eldest though and she has a PETRIFIED look on her face and is crying! Oh, my poor baby!!! I'm trying to hold her and and reassure her it's going to be alright, while I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying the ride. They have a point in the ride where they take your picture and I tried to get a good picture of it with my cell phone (hubby had the camera at that point) but I couldn't, but it was a hoot. I was sitting there, grinning from ear to ear and you could see the fear in my oldest's face. And the thing is, she's been on this ride before! I guess she's just not a big fan of certain roller coasters. She's gone on a lot of them at Magic Mountain (up in Valencia), but even there she did not like the Colossus.

After we were done we went over to the Sun Wheel and saw the hubby and the youngest on there.


My youngest loves ferris wheels. Well, as long as hubby's there to take her on it.

Then we made our way through the boardwalk, stopping to take pictures.....

Then we went over to Flik's Fun Fair, where it is all kiddy rides. The 3 of them went on Flik's Flyers (again, it goes around and around, not for me)
Then we went over to the Hollywood Studios Backlot section of the park to go on Mike & Sulley To The Rescue Ride. It's a cute little ride for the kiddies. It's nice and cool inside there, you get to sit while your car "wanders" through Monsters Inc. Very cute ride.
Again, another "photo op" after the ride.
Then we went over to Tower Of Terror. I really wanted to go on it and so did hubby, but there was no way the oldest was going to go on it. So hubby went over to it while we ran into Goofy and the girls got to have their picture taken with him. The photographer asked if I wanted to get in the picture, but with having had a shitload of water dumped on me earlier in the day via the Grizzly River Run, I was not up to having my picture taken (the above picture of me was taken so far away, it was okay...LOL!!).
By the time hubby got off Tower of Terror, the line had gotten pretty long and we were all ready to go. The girls were getting very grumpy. But it was a good day there, it wasn't too hot, it wasn't too crowded, the longest we had to wait for a ride was about a half hour or so with Toy Story Mania, all in all it was a good family day.

And that's all that matters.


4 comments:

K said...

what a fun day! I LOL because we have a photo of my oldest on the Tower of Terror that sounds like a mirror of yours on California Screamin'! One of my all-time fave rides at Disneyland is Buzz Lightyear's Space Adventure (just call me Space Ace!), but alas, I've never been to California Adventure... Someday... :-)

Michelle said...

LOL! I was laughing at your soaking experience because I had one of those over at Sea World.

I feel for C on the roller coaster since wanting to cry was how I felt when I rode CA screamin'. That was one scary ride!!!!

I'm glad you all had a fun day!

Unknown said...

What a fun day!! I am so jealous! I'm glad you were able to escape for a family day before the grind of school starts again.

Gayle said...

Looks like you had a great family day! I went there with three of my childnen last November. We had fun, but I wish we would have had two days to see everything. We saved the water ride for last!