Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Day In L.A.

Instead of a birthday party, my youngest decided she wanted to go to the American Girl store and get an American Girl doll. It was actually going to be cheaper for me to do this, rather than have a birthday party, because the place she wanted to have her birthday party had a $200 MINIMUM there.

So we started out day at about 7:30 a.m. to get there by the time the store opened. The American Girl store was located at The Grove in Los Angeles.

My youngest was SO excited to get to the store!

We went through each "Era" of the dolls so we could see all the displays and so she could get a feel for which doll she wanted.


She had originally wanted to get a doll that looked like her. When we got to this "Era" of 1974, she immediately wanted the doll, Ivy, that she is touching here.
My oldest desperately tried to talk her out of this doll, mostly because of the clothes. Which I admit weren't the greatest looking clothes. But I told my oldest that it is the youngest's birthday and whatever doll SHE wanted, she got to get. And I told my youngest that that is why they have so many different dolls because all girls have different tastes.

In the end, she got the doll she wanted, Ivy.

But we still perused through the store looking at the displays.
These dolls behind her are the "Dolls of The Year". Each year American Girl comes out with a doll that is only available for one year. My oldest has the 2nd doll from the left.
Afterwards we walked around The Grove for a little while, going into the 3 story Abercrombie & Fitch store where there are 2 gorgeous guys at the front door welcoming you in.

There is also a pond in which the water shoots up to the beat of music that is played.


We also got another outfit for "Ivy", and once the oldest changed Ivy into this outfit, she did finally admit that she was wrong and that Ivy was a very cute doll.

We couldn't stay at The Grove for very long because my sister had a surprise for my oldest at 12:30, and my oldest had no idea what was going on, and thank goodness my youngest doesn't like to peruse the shops for very long. She got what she wanted. She was happy.

So we made our way through Hollywood to get to the surprise.

Ahhh.....Sunset Blvd. Home of the famous Whisky-A-Go-Go, The Roxy and others. I spent many a weekend watching bands here before marriage and kids.

The famous Hollywood Blvd.
Okay. So we get to the surprise. It's actually a hair salon, called Krimson. My sister is friends with the owner. We pulled up to this place and get out and my oldest is asking why we are here and I tell her that her aunt is here and we are meeting her here. She thinks NOTHING of it. We get inside and my sister gives her a hug and then tells her, "Surprise!!! You are getting your hair done!" My oldest was in SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it!! I loved that I was able to pull it off and she had NO idea what was happening. She was going to get a REAL haircut and highlights in her hair. So here is her "before" shot. (Yes, I admit it, we've been doing the Supercuts thing)


And here is her "after" shot. A BIG improvement, don't you think?? This was her birthday present from my sister. Have I told you all how much I love my sister??!!!!! She is THE BEST!!!!


And don't worry, I'm never taking her to Supercuts again. Now I just need to find a good hairdresser for her down here.

5 comments:

Sueberry said...

Awwww......what a cute story & a great day out for Mom & the girls, for sure! Cheyenne looks lovely, but I suspect you already knew that. XOXO

Karen said...

her hair is beautiful! Wow! Enjoyed the AG photos too:) Happy Birthday!

Gayle said...

That is a great haircut...so beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

She looks so grown up & beautiful! I can't wait to see it IRL. Is J going to bring Ivy for a visit? Does that mean I have get to play with her other one now? Ü

Michelle said...

She looks so hip with her new do!! :)