Monday, June 23, 2008

It's a Good Thing I Brought The Camera

It was a VERY hot weekend this weekend, but I did bring the camera so I could get shots of my oldest playing softball.





She had a pretty good day for the most part. She had some FABULOUS bunts (she is the queen of bunting after all), some great catches, but it was a LOOOOOONG day.


We got there at 6:30 a.m., and didn't leave until 7:30 p.m. If they had won both of their games at 10:00 a.m. & 2:00 p.m. they got to go home. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. They lost the 2 o'clock game, which meant we had to stay even longer to play a 6 o'clock game. Talk about a LONG day for the girls! They played 3 games already and then they had to play ANOTHER game.


By the time that last game came around the girls were just spent. You could tell. They just didn't have the energy like they did earlier.


Then mine came up to bat. She was watching the ball pretty well. She swung at one and got a strike. Then the next one she swung at and it fouled (at least that's the way it looked) and her 3rd strike she didn't even swing at. And I thought that was odd she didn't even swing.


So she comes back to the dugout and you could tell something was wrong.


Turns out that 2nd strike that we thought was fouled? It actually hit her hand. And in softball, if the ball hits your hand, it's considered part of the bat, so she thought she was going to be called out if she said something. And the reason she didn't swing at the 3rd strike was because her hand was hurting so bad she couldn't swing.

She was CRYING when she got back in the dugout. She looked at me and you could SEE the pain in her eyes that it hurt so bad. We iced it up. We had the coaches look at it. We all thought that her pinky was the problem.

After the game (and no, she didn't go back into the game), I decided that I wanted to take her to the emergency room, JUST to get it it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

So we headed on down there and got there around 8ish.

We didn't leave until 1 a.m.

If you bored and like to people watch, go down to the emergency room on a Saturday night.

Because you're going to find some interesting people down there, because we certainly did!

After we finally saw the doctor, they took x-rays. While we were waiting, my oldest and I got very giggly and silly because we were so exhausted from such a long day.

We both thought it was probably just a bad sprain or bruised or something like that.

The doctor came back in and said, "It's broken".

Both of us were in shock and dismay.

We didn't REALLY think it WAS broken.

And then they told us that she needed a cast.

She was DEVASTATED and started crying.

She LOVES softball and there is 2 weeks left in All-Stars.

But now she has to hang up her bat.

I knew something was wrong though. I could tell.

It's called Mother's Intuition. I keep telling everyone it's a powerful thing.

But she said she is still going to practice. She can run and she can catch the ball, she just can't throw it or bat. She will be in the dugout cheering her team on for these last 2 weekends, and watching with envy, wishing she could be out there.

Bur for now, until practice on Tuesday, she is on the couch and elevating her hand.

And this cast will be a part of her for about 3 weeks.





5 comments:

Valerie said...

Ouch! Poor thing! Hope those three weeks in that cast go quickly for her. I'm sorry she will miss getting to play but nice that she wants to stay involved for the rest of the season.

Karen said...

ouch, poor kid! I hope she isn't too upset.

Sueberry said...

Poor thing....but great photos of her, Tina! Tell her to hang in there. SH_T happens. ha ha! XOXO

One Sassy Princess said...

Wow! Poor thing! We all feel for her! Try to keep cool in this heat wave!

Gayle said...

That sucks! I'm guessing it was fast pitch? I was a pitcher (fast and slow pitch) and loved the game in my younger days. I understand how horribly she must feel...I would be finding a way to play (which is stupid). Glad she's going to hang with the team the last few weeks. Next year she'll be back! :)