Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Firestorm 2007

Here we go again.

This is a repeat of the Cedar Fire we had in 2003. It's worse in some situations, but better in others.

The fires are MUCH MUCH bigger than the Cedar Fire, however people are getting SO much better advanced warning this time. People are being told to evacuate hours ahead of time this time.

The schools are closed all week long, as well as the courts and some businesses.

So far, where we are, we are okay. We have not been asked to evacuate. We have two evacuation centers within a mile or two of us, so that's a good thing. As long as those two evacuation centers stay open, I'm okay.

We do have our stuff packed and ready to go though, should we get a call. And honestly, I don't have as much stuff packed as I would really like to. Like say, our whole house. THE most important things to me besides my family and my animals are photographs and home movies. Those can never be replaced either. I have inherited a ton of heritage photos, and while I probably could get some copies from my great aunt, there are a lot that cannot be replaced. And heritage jewelry as well.

So I'm ready, should we need to evacuate. Hubby keeps telling me that we won't evacuate, and he's probably right. We probably won't. But you can never tell what the winds will do and should they decide to pick up and send the fire our way, I want to be able to get out with my girls, animals and pictures.

There are SOOOOOOOOOO many people who have been evacuated due to this fire, over 500,000 people! And I'm hoping that most of them will be able to return to their homes.

The air, where we are is not as bad as it was during the Cedar Fire, but it's still smoky. I don't think there is a clear bit of air at all in this county.

It's so awful and so incredibly scary.

My anxiety levels are so high at times, especially when I hear of an area that is within 5-10 miles of us being evacuated. I worry that it's getting closer to us. I try not to leave the house too often, in case we do get a reverse 911 call. If I do have to leave, I make sure a friend of mine who lives close by is at home that way we can call each other to let the other one know, should it occur.

But so far so good.

It would be nice if God could bring some rain to douse these fires. The winds have died down though, so that's something.

So many people are going to need so much because of these fires. My daughter has already put a jar together to start a fund for the people who will be in need from these fires.

So everybody please pray for everyone here and pray that the firefighters can stay safe and get a hold on these fires and get it under control as soon as possible.

1 comment:

One Sassy Princess said...

Ooh you wrote great stuff about the fires. You all can come here if you get evacuvated. I do not beleive any of us will get that far. But the news and the aircraft flying overhead and the smoke settling does not make it any easier to realize we are all relatively safe in our neighborhoods. BTW you rock--

((((((HUGS))))))) to you and yours! Let me know if you need anything!