I grew up in the 80's. The music was SO important to me in the 80's. My friends and I would go to dance clubs and concerts all the time. Our whole world revolved around music. Posters up on the walls, records, 12" singles, imports, going to see bands down in Hollywood,etc.
And so many songs bring back so many memories for me!
Duran Duran's Rio album.....I remember listening to that one summer night while all my friends had dates or other plans. It was still so warm at night, but cool enough to be tolerated. I sat right next to my stereo on the floor just listening to it. That and Simple Minds.
The Smiths' "How Soon Is Now"......everytime I hear that song, even to this day, reminds me of when me and my friends went to the beach one summer day.
Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again".......riding in my friends car in the summertime, just driving around at night.
Soft Cell...........Dancing at Network in Glendale.
Spandau Ballet......Dancing at 321 in Santa Monica.
Guns & Roses.....going to a party out in Chatsworth.
Def Leppard.......going to their concert (my very first concert), watching their Photograph video on MTV at my friend's house before we left for school.
Depeche Mode.....oh, so many different memories in so many different places it's hard to just name one.
Thompson Twins.....again, at Network in Glendale. That and the song "White Lines", the group Yaz, and so many more....
We were also talking about how much fun it was back then too. I loved going to parties! We all just had SO much fun! Yes, there were many drunk nights, and many nights that we probably wish we could forget. Breaking curfew, driving way too fast to get home by curfew, sitting in my room at night in the dark, listening to music while looking at the glow in the dark stars on my ceiling.
There are times where I want my daughters to be able to experience what I did growing up, but mostly I'm like "Hell No!" When we went to parties there were no guns that would be drawn, people most of the time respected the fact that, "no, I'm not into that drug", or "no thanks", or maybe it was the fact that we were just lucky back then? I met so many different types of people in high school and I accepted the different lifestyles they led, or how they dressed, wore their hair, etc. When I see kids with mohawks or different colored hair, I'm like, "Oh, that's SOOOO 80's, you know?"

No comments:
Post a Comment