This one is of my grandma and my grandpa John in 1945 in San Francisco, CA:

You can tell they were just having the time of their lives. And what better way to show how much they love each other than by posing in front of a silly cutout. :)
What a story they had......
My grandma and her little sister went to live with her Aunt Edie after their mom died. (Back then, I guess it wasn't right for a father to raise his daughters without a female presence around). But they got to come back every summer to be with their dad. Well, one summer, upon coming back, after finishing high school, she met John. The next summer after coming to visit with her dad, her and John were deeply in love and eloped because they knew Aunt Edie wouldn't approve.
Shortly after they got married and my grandma got her period, my grandpa John said that he would go to the market to get her the stuff she needed and when the bag boy asked if he wanted a bag, he said no, and proudly displayed it when walking back home so the whole town could see that she had her period and that NO, they didn't elope because she was pregnant. LOL!! I have letters that my grandma wrote to him, that he saved, when he was traveling out to California from South Dakota so that he could find better work so they could have a better life. I would have loved to have met him, but sadly he passed away when my mom was a teenager.

8 comments:
That's a fantastic picture. My grandma has a photo album on her bookcase that I love to page through. Pictures of her as a child, pictures of relatives long gone, pictures of her and my grandfather in their early years. You've inspired me to ask her to tell me more about them. Thanks!
What a great story. You're so lucky that you have the stories to go with the pictures--when my grandparents died I got all the pictures but I don't know anyone in them at all, and neither my father nor I got the stories of them while people were alive. Cherish those memories! Happy Love Thursday
Julie....Oh, good, I'm so glad! Definitely ask as much as you can, as often as you can! I wish I had been able to ask more myself!
Cnedaria...Are there any relatives stil alive that would know anything about it? With some pictures, I had to go to great aunts and uncles to find out who some of them were.
What a beautiful love story. It makes my romantic heart melt. I'll bet it broke your grandma's heart when your grandpa passed, but at least they made a wonderful life together.
Great picture and even better story! Happy love thursday!
That is soo cool...what a great picture and what a great couple!
My mom was raised by her grandmother in Scotland after her mom died too.
It was sad though because even when he remarried he never sent for her.
This is a great picture and with the story it's priceless.
Thanks for sharing the love! Happy Love Thursday.
natalee.....Oh, I know it had to break my grandma's heart. So sad. :( She did find another great man and remarry though later on.
crunchy carpets....oh that is sad. :( My grandma always loved going back home for the summer to see her dad and brother.
Thanks all!
Post a Comment