Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Ahhh.....what a weekend!!!

The Good...........Got a message from my attorney telling me that the court approved our request to end probate and distribute funds. YEA!!! Which is a good thing too, because we put my mom's house on the market on Friday as well!

The Bad.........Actually, it's sad, I think, my 16 year old cousin got married on Saturday. :( And no, she's not pregnant. Her boyfriend is being stationed overseas and they think that by getting married, she'll be allowed to go over there with him. Maybe not now, but maybe later. Well.....his orders are for "UNACCOMPANIED", which means NO dependents are allowed to go over. Has there ever been times when "unaccompanied" change to "accompanied" orders? Yea, sure, but I really, really doubt that is the case here. He is supposed to be going to Iraq after a short stint in Germany. I don't like that he urged her into wanting to do this as well, when I had talked to her a week prior and she said she was so unsure she wanted to do this. I think that if he really, really loved her and wanted what's best for her, he would WANT her to have the wedding with all her family and friends around. Heck, weddings ARE for the bride mostly. It upsets me that they didn't sit down more and really think about this. Take time, say a year or so, at least even wait until she's 18 to get married. She may think that I'm mad or upset with her, but I'm not really. I don't think that going into a marriage where he says, "Hey, if it doesn't work out, you can always divorce me" is a good thing. That's NOT what a marriage is all about. She is SOOOO young, although, granted she is definitely mature for her age, but she still is so young. She has never lived out on her own, she barely graduated high school, she hasn't experienced so much that there it to experience out there. Sigh.............................

The Ugly....................Well, I think that was expressed above. Really, no one was happy she got married, except for her and her now "husband". And that is truly sad. When people are crying at your wedding, not because they're happy for you, but because they're sad for you, how can that be a good thing? What's done is done now though. I guess we'll just have to see what transpires with this, you know? Let's just hope that the camping trip doesn't get ugly.

Military Life.........When you marry a military person, you basically marry the military. In his order of importance, the military comes first, and you are second. He is helping to defend our country and he needs to focus on that, and as a military wife, you have to be able to accept that. Now, if my husband got orders away from here (accompanied, of course, since he had a wife and two children, and the military knows that, and he's not trying to "sneak" a marriage in, when it would be totally denied by the military, had my cousin's "husband" done it the proper way), I would definitely go with him, but he also knows that I LOVE living here and he will do whatever he can, take whatever orders he can, to stay here. Marriage is a give and take thing, even if you're not in the military, and if you constantly give, and don't get to take, that's just NOT good. Yes, I put up with a lot, with the military, having my husband gone for months at a time, but it's something I accepted when we got married. Do I like it? Of course not, I want him home with us, but I know that this is what he has to do. I'm extremely proud of him and his accomplishments. But he also gave me my dreams come true too. All I ever wanted was a husband, kids and a house. And he was able to give them to me. Of course I helped in that too. But he also knows that I want things, I want to be able to do things, and he wants me to have those things. It's a give and take thing, Ying and Yang. We balance each other out.

We had both been on our own before we got married. We had gone through our "partying and wild phase" (starting in high school), and so by the time we did get married, we were ready.

No comments: