Friday, September 02, 2005

Doing The Single Mom Thing For A While......

Hubby just got sent over to Pensacola, Florida with his squadron to help with the relief effort from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, so I'm doing the single mom thing now for a while. He is definitely needed back east, so it's a small sacrifice I have to make, for him to help others. And plus, it's not like I haven't done it before when he's out to sea. At least it's only for a few weeks and the oldest is in school anyway. So at least there's some routine going on for me.

Hey, my mom did it my whole life, and a lot of other single parents do it all the time, so I will try not to bitch about it.

It's times like this when I think back about my life growing up and how my mom did it all on her own. We didn't have much growing up, but I did have VERY good friends, and my mom and grandparents did what they could for me, and I hope that at some point, I did appreciate it back then. I know I certainly do now! I knew mom couldn't afford things, and I don't think I even asked that much. Sure I wanted to do gymnastics and a lot of other stuff, but I knew we couldn't do it. I remember when I was on the vollyball team and I needed shoes, and we had to wait until payday so I could get them. My coach kept getting on me about it, and I just kept thinking, geez, coach, I'll get them in a few days.

Sometimes part of me wishes that my girls didn't have so much, so they might appreciate the things they do have more. And I do think they do. Because I know that they certainly don't have as much as some of their friends, but I know they have a lot more than I did growing up.

I know I am VERY lucky to be able to only have to work part-time, and have a wonderful husband who works hard and provides for us. Granted we don't have as much as a lot of people, but we do okay on our own. Sure we'd love to have more stuff, but hey, who doesn't? In this day and age, it all seems to be about "instant gratification", and I know I'm guilty of that at times too. But with all the loss that part of our nation has experienced, I have to remind myself, along with my children how much they DO have and to appreciate it.

Okay, enough ramblings.......I've got to get a move on and get some crap done around the house. The inlaws are coming next weekend and I've got to get the house in tip top shape. Got to be the best "Wannabe UberMom" I can.

No comments: